Blurb Verse

"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."
Romans 5:3-5
Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 20, 2013

How Long?


How Long?
My God, it is not fretfulness 
That makes me say "How long?" 
It is not heaviness of heart 
That hinders me in song, 
'Tis not despair of truth and right, 
Nor coward dread of wrong.

But how can I, with such a hope 

Of glory and of home; 
With such a joy before my eyes, 
Not wish the time were come 
Of years the jubilee, of days 
The Sabbath and the sum?
This life, how long it seems! 
And how can I in evil days, 
'Mid unknown hills and streams 
But sigh for those of home and heart 
And visit them in dreams?
Be calm, my troubled breast; 
Each restless hour is hastening on 
The everlasting rest. 
Thou knowest that the time thy God 
Appoints for thee is best.
Awake the cry, "How long?" 
Let now faintheartedness of soul 
Damp thy aspiring song, 
Right comes, truth dawns, the night departs 
Of error and of wrong.
These years, what ages they have been! 


Yet peace, my heart and hush my tongue; 
Let faith, not fear nor fretfulness, 
                          —Horatius Bonar

No comments:

Post a Comment